Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brisbane city tourist

Wonderful to wake up and see the sun today, I caught the local train to Central Station to explore some of Brisbane. First stop an Aveda salon to get my hair cut –their neck and shoulders massage features wherever you are in the world and felt very good today. Then I explored the South Bank arts complex –museums, galleries and a Hat exhibition that was at the V&A in London some time ago. The displays were set alongside a typical milliner's atelier and some 1940’s and 50’s Pathe newsreels about the latest headwear for the fashionable woman in those days when wearing a hat was much more ‘routine’. In a small side room children were making hats in a variety of designs, colours and materials that matched many of the designer ones on show!

P1010263

I stopped for lunch at the Gallery cafe only to be joined by an Ibis strutting his/her stuff amongst the tables. Will someone please tell me why I always choose the spot that the hungry birds (and this was a big one) make for … do they know how I feel about them?

  P1010267

The river dominates this city, winding through in sweeping bends with ancient and modern bridge architecture and lighting effects associated with the play of water, clouds and skyscrapers. I stopped in Graceville on my home to buy salad for supper tonight –Mel’s friend is joining us and its nearly time to get cooking. I’m almost packed (again) and ready to travel to NZ tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn

    You certainly do get about!!

    Hope your journey to NZ goes smoothly.

    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. so far its wonderful ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see you are having a great time. I have always fancied going to New Zealand.

    Nigel

    ReplyDelete