Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weds 28 April –Napier to Wellington

Don and Joy saw me safely onto the Wellington bound coach this morning. Joy picked two Nelson College roses for the breakfast table -we are both ‘old girls’ although I was not there very long –thank you Joy for such thoughtfulness.  My time with Don and Joy was very special and has given me some wonderful memories –thank you both very much.  We had great chats about the past and the present. I’m so glad to have a copy of Don’s book to read when I get home and the inspiration of all Joy’s quilts.

The 5 hour journey from Napier to Wellington was very good. We soon left the East Pacific Highway, turning southwest past farmland –at last flocks and flocks of sheep –and finally on a road bordered by the rocky Tasman Sea shoreline. I easily found the B&B I’d booked so many months ago and then headed for Te Papa for another NZ history immersion.

P1010430

Being Wellington it was very windy so indoors was appealing and this is a museum that could absorb days of my time. Its full of Maori art and there’s lots about the arrival of people in NZ from the very first Polynesians to today’s migrants who are often fleeing their homeland. 

P1010445P1010441

Back at the B&B I met my hosts, Jeff and Dean, who’ve given me lots of tips about what to see in the city and my crossing to Picton on Saturday. Their house is very elegant and its very quiet except for the wind!!! Well worth the climb up the hill to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment