Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sunday around Melbourne

Jersey Boys was just what I needed to keep me awake after 2 conference days in Mildura. It was great to be reminded of so many sounds of the sixties -I hadn't realised how many hits Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons had! This morning I headed for St Kilda’s on the 96 tram  -a warm and sunny day so a busy beach and crowds at the Arts Market. 
P1010221

P1010223
St Kilda’s is a typical seaside town with one unique feature –a street full of cake shops! The pier was recently damaged, there’s a big effort to raise funds for restoration but you can still walk to the end. Sleeping black swans, starfish and seagulls diving for their supper were all on view.P1010226 P1010233
Back in Melbourne I joined the crowds strolling along the Southbank, another Art Market and lots of entertainers. The cool of  Victoria Gardens was very welcome –a chance for some reading. Books are expensive here but keeping to my travel habit of reading something by a local author I am now well into a Tim Winton novel.
P1010245
A visit to the State National Gallery on my way back to the hotel finished my day. The highlights for me were the entry water wall, a film of the Japanese tea ceremony and Drape, an exhibition of 20C haute couture. Many of the galleries were empty and the shop and cafes very busy!
I’ve just had a meal in a Greek restaurant –local fish and lager in the third largest Greek city!!!  Tomorrow its Brisbane, and if I can pack quickly, a look at Captain Cook’s cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment