Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday in Brisbane

08 30: Some great bird sounds as I woke this morning and then a birthday breakfast for Imogen who is 17 today. The humidity is rising and rain is forecast so this will be a good day to be inside giving my lecture at UQ’s medical school. I’ve now downloaded the photos I took on my phone during my tour of the Melbourne gardens where Captain Cook’s cottage now rests after its transportation from Yorkshire. Image048
A bronze of Mary Gilbert, the first women white settler to give birth in Australia, sits amongst the tropical plants in the neighbouring Conservatory. Mary was one of the original settlers travelling on the Enterprise and her son was born in Port Phillip in 1785.
Image044
10 15: My lecture at the Medical School went well: a participative audience with interesting questions and a very unobtrusive technician operating the recording equipment. It rained today heavy and straight in middle day warmth -the ground in the local park felt very soggy underfoot when Melanie and I went for a brisk walk . Then we left for a lovely evening with the three girls and their boyfriends at a city restaurant –middle eastern food and Imogen’s lemon drizzle birthday cake for desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment