Thursday, April 01, 2010

A day in Orinda

A quick walk around the lake in the early morning sunshine started Wednesday for me, with ducks, busy blue backed birds and lots of wild flowers on show on my way. Onto a local quilting shop –what temptation! Stacks of fabrics, some fine quilts on display and books galore on all sorts of sewing crafts. Its a good job I have to match my purchases on this trip to the little space I have left in my luggage ... today just one small book on ‘pretty little pincushions’.

P1000829 P1000825

Lunch was with several of Pauline’s friends, hosted by Carol who has a museum standard collection of blown glass art. I enjoyed the company of another quilter, learnt more about the US obesity problem and explained how the English make tea! Carol had made a Chinese Salad with Fruit Salad, and a warm Chocolate Mousse for desert so this afternoon I needed another walk!  This time I explored the shops in Orinda where the bookstore is very supportive of local book groups. I took notes on some new titles for future choices by my Effingham book group  -as instructed at our last meeting before I left the UK!! The entrance to Orinda Library has several pieces of public art and the gardens are full of spring flowers despite the unseasonably low temperatures.

P1000837 P1000833

As I write this it is raining once again and the temperature has dropped to 7C but my Google home page tells me that there has been more snow at home ….

No comments:

Post a Comment