Monday, April 19, 2010

Melbourne to Brisbane

The start of another week and I saw Captain Cook’s cottage this morning before going to the airport. Qantas are top of my airline list at present –cheerful cabin staff, wide seats and, so far, punctual flights. But I’m one of the lucky ones not travelling to Europe this week! I’m keeping track of the volcano ash cloud and wondering just how long it can last.

From seat 2F I have an aerial view of the land inside the Eastern Seaboard. A patchwork of browns and greens with the occasional town –there should be a name for the colour of those spots of settlements that interrupt the vegetation. Last night’s tv programme about the early settlers of NSW and their relationship with the aborigines has helped me to understand some aspects of present day Australian culture like the Welcome to Country at the conference last week. Now as I look out of my window over Queensland, with the shoreline just in view, I wonder what happened in these mountains when the British marched in and claimed the land? It seems the land was unstitched and parcelled up into a patchwork of ownership by the newcomers.

6 30 pm

We came into land over a patch of  sea with shades that reminded me of pistachio ice cream  -greens, pinks all twisted together. Melanie found me as I walked off the plane and I’m now enjoying her company and that of Hannah, Jessica and Imogen in their home. Its warm and sultry here and I've just passed a frog on the stairs …

No comments:

Post a Comment