Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Meeting the Aussie family

A wonderful day meeting my Australian family –Auntie Peggy, half cousins Pam and Barry, and several once removed cousins. 

P1010185

After a train & replacement bus trip that introduced me to another part of NSW I quickly spotted Pam, Ken and Carley at Sutherland Station with their Welcome Cousin sign. We continued by car along a stunning stretch of coastline; the route includes a road bridge that’s an iconic structure in car advertising.

P1010159

First stop was Bald Hill where Lawrence Hargrave, an Australian pioneer of flying, is remembered, then I had a tour of Bulli  –the beach is long and sandy and, like some of my family, many of the people who live there work in the nearby coal mines and coke works. At a barbeque lunch I got to know three generations of cousins including 10 month old Aaron and chatted to Auntie Peggy about how much we remembered of our last meeting when I was 12. 

P1010179Pam and I put more pieces in the family tree she is working on, we took lots of photos and then it was south to Woolongong (more great beaches) and finally a return journey to my bus/train via the mountain road. The NSW coastline is certainly one of the most beautiful in the world. Thank you Pam and Ken for being my tour guides, it was so good to meet so many family members –let’s not leave it so long between meetings next time. P1010198

No comments:

Post a Comment