Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More rain in Melbourne

Woke up to heavy, straight rain -just what everyone here wants.  I’m just hoping for a dry day tomorrow when I plan to see some of the city. My lunchtime meeting with IPE colleagues meant I visited another UQ campus –this one is St Lucia. The suburbs here have a wonderful mix of names that tell the story of the origins of present day Australians. Aboriginal mixed in with English, Scottish and all those many other places like Italy and Greece that people came here from. So many people arrived here (and this continues) from somewhere else and if not them, their grandparents or further back.

Its now very humid in the late afternoon sunshine  -the locals are feeling the cold but I’m just fine. I’ve enjoyed a walk around this small suburban town of Graceville with its upmarket shops  including a tea shop -many varieties of teas and coffees on offer and scones and jam. Cakes seem to be a big feature here –there’s a cupcake phenomenon happening at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment