Friday, May 14, 2010

North to Hokitika

Baby Cow was enjoying the rain soaked meadow as I left Fox for Hokitika and, this time, an unplanned B&B stop organised by Karen.

P1020325

Franz Josef was deserted so my errands at the stationers, post shop and garage were soon done. The route took me past the turn for Okarito where the weather changed for the better and, although there was the occasional heavy shower, most of my journey was in sunshine, with the fronts passing over quickly.

Waterfalls at the road’s edge and P1020328tree debris were evidence of last night’s storms –and the rivers and creeks, including Duffers, Rocky, Stinky, Flowery, Purcell and Paganini were churning with lots of fresh water. I stopped for a picnic lunch at Lake Ianthe –no reflections today and had a short walk around Lake Mahinapua –just one other car in both places.

P1020334

The key to Heritage Lodge cottage was in post box 21 –this is a lovely place, too big for one person but I’m enjoying the space and facilities tonight. The breakfast that’s been left for me has just provided supper and there’s still enough for the morning. I’m now booked into the Christchurch B&B for tomorrow as well so now I can enjoy the drive over Arthur's Pass without wondering if I’ll make the deadline to return the car.

There’s no internet or phone here so sorting out my onward journey from Christchurch will have to wait until Saturday morning. Still can’t decide whether to go to Bangkok as planned or strigh home –maybe I’ll won’t have the choice. Heavy rain now so I think I’ll find out where they keep the torch ….

No comments:

Post a Comment